Thursday, February 18, 2010

February 18, 2010

Well, just in case you were wondering if it really was warm over here...

99 Deg F in the shade today. Humidity Index - High.

Even Dr. Renee K. noted the OR's were a bit warm. I was working on Pediatric hernias (2 month old, with circ, and a 2 y/o) so figured my room was warm because of the kids. I did think it was odd that the "air-conditioner" didn't seem to be working quite like normal...but since the kids were nice and warm it seemed ok. That being said, the OR's are never less than 80 on a good day since I've been here :)
Turned out, it was so hot with the sun on the metal roofs that there was no hope of cooling down the rooms!
Interesting cases continue - but everyone was safe today. Thank you for your prayers.

Incredible suppers here - tonight it was Curry Chicken and rice, with Star Fruit Crisp with home-made vanilla ice cream at Lisa's house. I'm afraid I'm living better here than at home! Between the fresh fruit, yogurt, fresh bread, Laughing Cow Cheese, fresh poached eggs, and incredible brownies (Thanks Renee!) I can not complain in the least. Someone wants me to keep trying the Etonga's ( a particular "fruit" that grows here ), but I'm not sold on them - yet. I keep trying one about once a week. One of these years...maybe.
All in all it has been a good week. Nearly two weeks complete now, and Renee leaves tomorrow - which means I'm back on my own for Ob-Gyn :( She has been an outstanding help and a great teacher for the residents. I know they are sad to see her go as well. Having her here has been one of the greatest gifts to the teaching going on these past couple of weeks.
Keir (the Director of Surgery) returns Monday - and we have a couple cases lined up to do together. Considering a chest case -which will be quite large, as well as a couple other technical cases. Will talk about that on Monday with him.
Thank you for your prayers.
Cleaned my house again today :) I clean a bit each day, and am amazed at how quickly the insect population trends down if you keep them at bay. But give them an inch...and they'll take the whole house! The geckos and lizards are doing nicely - and I haven't seen any spiders in a few days (not that they are not here - just haven't seen them). Today I thought it was pretty quiet in here, till I flipped up a seat cushion and found the most recent hiding place for one of my pet geckos. I haven't started talking to them - at least not much.
I know this isn't a very "special" blog, but it fills you in a bit on some of the more mundane aspects of life here.
Feeling a bit on the sad side as I realize I'll be leaving in just about a week. Time flys quickly. It has been a welcome change of pace, challenges, and good time of catching up a bit with friends - especially seeing how much Luke and Sarah have progressed in learning to swim :)
It's the "little" things.
Today the second year resident did an outstanding job with a pediatric hernia. It is seeing guys like him make progress that make the teaching so rewarding. The first year is asking great questions and growing by leaps and bounds. The third year (Chief while the others are away) has improved so much it is hard to describe. He is going to make an excellent surgeon, as they all are. It is quite a privilege to work with these guys. On top of that, each of them have a real heart for the people, care about them physically and spiritually, and are quick to pray for and with their patients. They are appropriate, kind, and caring. One of the patients with a prayer rug (Muslim) obviously feels welcome and enjoyed as the residents banter with him on rounds and relate with him about his beliefs. These doctors obviously love their patients - and the love of Jesus is evident in their lives as they take care of them.
It is a joy to be here. Thankful for the honor it is to work with the patients and staff. The love of God is evident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laughing cow cheese? Are you sure that is safe? From start to finish-great note, and finished on a perfect thought. MG


.