Friday, January 21, 2011

Gabon - January 2011, 21


Interesting day.
When one wakes up in the morning, you can never tell just what might occur that day. I often begin the day thinking about who may not be here tomorrow.
Today was one of those days.

It was another beautiful day in the jungle with splotches of sunlight interspersed with a nice rain, occasional thunder, and people. Karen interpreted for me again - she is a huge help and source of inspiration. When it became quite solemn as I described the operation a young lady needed to remove her tumor, and the fact that she may never have children again...Karen asked the lady and her husband if we could pray. It set the entire situation back in focus. There are some things which can only be handled by God, no matter how much we think we are in control.

Later, as Dr. Johari and I were getting ready to leave the hospital, we went with Dr. Jean Claude to see a young baby with Malaria. Johari was hopeful that the baby had turned the corner after 4 days of medicine and close care. The baby had been doing well this afternoon, but in the few minutes it took to find us and go back to talk with the Mom, something occurred and the baby definitely began to look worse.
In the very few minutes we were standing there he died.
He was only a month old.

I can't tell you how many people I have watched die during my short time as a surgeon.
- I've lost count.
But the same sense of utter dependence on God remains the same.

The one thing I have found that makes the most difference to me is how I interacted with each person for the time I did have to relate with them. I can order tests, do operations, try to provide the "best" medical care - but in the end what matters most is how I cared for the person, not just their medical condition.

I learned this lesson the hard way a few years ago while working in the Sahara. A little gal I was attempting to care for died while asking for a drink of water. She was anemic (lost a lot of blood), needed IV fluids and blood, and needed antibiotics. I ordered all the tests and treatments she "needed" to survive. What I didn't recognize was that she was already dying, and what she really needed the most was a drink of water to ease her suffering as she died.

She did not get her last request for a simple sip of water.

The death of that little 12 y/o gal hit me pretty hard. I realized that there are a lot of people around me who are trying to do all the "right" things...yet what is really needed is completely missed. Not only in my medical world, but in the world around me.
Tonight someone will not wake up in the morning. What matters is what happened today - how we relate with each other and with God.

Tomorrow (or later tonight), when I go back to the hospital, the baby will not be there. But others will be - other people who have needs, medical and non-medical - and there will be people around who will be interacting around those needs. I pray God gives each of us the eyes to see what is really important - to recognize that for each of us it is only this day we are living. What matters for eternity is happing now.

It has been a real pleasure working with Jean Claude this week!
I added a photo of him and a little 3 y/o guy who suffered a complete pelvic fracture 3 months ago. Shattered pelvis, lacerated rectum, and destroyed urethra. But he has been healing. He has a permanent catheter - but he doesn't let anything slow him down! It is an incredible miracle the guy can walk!! These are the happy moments :) I thank God He gives us ALL of life.
Thank you for your prayers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear John, these are very worthy words. Tonight I need to heed them. Thanks again. MJG

Hayden405 said...

Well said! I thank God for you and Johair’s ministries to those people. And, it looks as if God had additional wisdom to reveal to us. God, thank you for "Showing us the importance of the simple things, like a word, a seed, a thorn, a nail, and a cup of cold water."