Friday, July 19, 2013

Long day

Just a quick note.

I hate evil.

Amputating an 11 months old baby boy's leg is horrific. Especially when it is dead from infection.

Following that with another amputation is even worse. Like removing the arm  of a 9 y/o girl because her broken arm was "fixed" by a Shaman (Witch Doctor). He "repaired" it by stopping the blood flow completely. She was brought in today because her arm became a stench in the house - from the necrotic muscle and rotten bone.
I can not imagine the horror she has lived through for the past several weeks.

Two children. Both "add on cases" for the OR. This evening.
I hate evil.

I'd post pictures. But, quite frankly, they are too horrific. I took them to remind myself to pray for them. But I won't forget. I know that I won't forget now that I'm back where I am staying. The smell, frightened look, suffering. It will be with me for a long while. That, and the feel of a small, soft, necrotic arm that almost falls off in your hand when you lift it.

I hate evil.

And some people wonder why I come to places like this?

How could I not come??

Jesus said to let the little children come to Him. I'm looking forward to the day when He comes to destroy evil. Why do people even hesitate when I ask if they would like Jesus to return at this very moment? I would. And I would especially if I was living with a rotting arm, dead leg, or other disease.
It seems to me it is only people who are sitting in luxury, ease, without pain, who ponder whether or not they would like Jesus to return this moment. If we had even the tiniest idea of what it would be like to be free from evil - I really doubt we would hesitate to see Jesus return.

That is, of course, you don't recognize evil, or Christ.
And that would be a pity - because there is a reality and both exist.
And not in fairy tales. I know.

I know because the smell of that little girls arm is still in my nose tonight. The little baby;s cries are still in my ears. God, my Father, my Savior - His love for me is why I'm here. I have no other reason to live except for that reality. And I'd really like to see evil destroyed. Forever.

Matthew 19:13-15

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In Cambodia when overwhelmed with evil and suffering, I found it therapeutic just to read Ezekiel 37:1-14, and 47:1-12. It just did me good to see death go backwards for a change, and to imagine a river that could make the desert live, and to imagine what it must have done for poor old Ezekiel, swimming in all that living water, after all the sad things he had seen.