Friday, May 24, 2013

Gabon again :)


Just thought I'd give a brief update...
This is a note I sent to a couple friends who came with me last year:
Thought of you two when I came back from the OR a bit early today (4ish). I have a couple of hours before supper and a nice, fresh, avocado was sitting on my counter.
So...
I cut it up, put some on a piece of bread, and squirted cheese spread on it! 
Not exactly the healthiest of all snacks, but it made me smile to think of the toasted ones we made for before dinner snack one night.
Anyhow, no c-sections this week but there is one brewing in the distance. Mama Julienne came by the OR three times today to try to convince the residents to do it...but so far they have resisted. She should be able to deliver on her own, but the midwife is off for the weekend and wanted to have her complete before she left in the morning. Funny how some try to make babies fit to a schedule :-) I think you must have taught these guys something Renee'!
Today in the OR, we had a patient come back with a probably PE. When I mentioned getting the U/S, immediately they jumped and were eager to get it. That is much different than in the past (before you came Rachel) when they would hesitate, mumble something about "I'm not sure what that will show us", and then shuffle off to get it. Today they were back in a flash and quickly started assessing.
I can definitely see some things that you all taught them have stuck!
Outside of that, it is quite warm, humid, and sticky. With most of the team away except three of the guys, it has been rather uneventful. The two chiefs have handled nearly everything by themselves, and I assist here and there as needed. It is good to see the hard work that Keir has put into these guy's lives paying off in huge ways.
Trust you two are doing well!
No pictures this time, but will try to find something before too long.
As I walked home from the Davies this evening I looked up...
There are no words to describe the beauty of a full moon in a clear sky while looking up through the canopy of a warm, humid, equatorial jungle in Africa :-)
Only one Being could create such beauty - and I'm glad I know Him!

No comments: