Thursday, February 14, 2008

In the Land of Gabon


Happy Valentines Day!!


It is warm here :-) 118 deg. F in the sun. But only 92 deg. F in the shade (I checked). Humidity = "high". And it is a GOOD day to be operating inside with the air-conditioning.


This am I awoke before my alarm, a habit which is slightly annoying because I keep going to bed late - I know I'm missing a few minutes of my sleep! But, on the other hand I pray for people till my alarm goes off, or I get up and keep going on my reading - trying to get through the Bible in 90 days. The fan is nice, keeps the air moving. That way the humidity isn't quite as bad.


This morning's cases were interesting - three teams - each with their own case: skin graft of pretty much an entire arm, above knee amputation on an 80 y/o lady, and an exploratory laparotomy on a 25 y/o gal with a mass in her pelvis.


There were the usual delays, questions, repeat blood tests, hypotension, desaturating and almost dying that occurs with the anesthetic and prep of patients, but in the end everyone started their cases. And, ended safely.


My operation was with Saskia (see above) and Marjolaine (a 3rd year resident from Canada). We operated on the 25 y/o gal. We found a mass in her retroperitoneum - and it looked "bad". We biopsied it and closed. It was too involved to hope to get it out. Her mother, whom we checked as a potential blood donor, turned out to be HIV +. It is in these cases that the impact of why we are here makes its way home. Without Jesus, both of these women will die and be separate from God forever. There is not much we can do now except alleviate the suffering as much as possible. The outcome is inevitable, physically, but there is the opportunity for them to make choices with eternal ramifications. My patient gave an emphatic "amen" when we finished praying just before starting the operation. And I am praying for her as she processes this morning's events.
A neat side-light is that John, an ER nurse from Seattle, had the same blood type as the woman, so he was the back-up option in case we got into serious bleeding. He came in to watch the operation, and had more than just a casual interest in our technique! Thankful for his willingness to be used in case we needed him. A real team effort!


My clothes are washing (!), the sun is shining, and I just finished lunch.

I'll return to the clinic at 3p to review the chapter on Breast with the residents. Then I'm headed to the pool to continue swimming lessons for Luke! Tonight is a "Dessert" night at Keir and Joanna's house - a kind of "thank you" for the team from Seattle as well as a couple more of us. We are enjoying an incredible amount of hospitality!


Thank you for your prayers, especially for wisdom in knowing how to relate and work with the patients and residents. It is a huge privilege to be here!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

John:

I never cease to be amazed at the patients you serve and the patience you show to those in need of hearing and knowing God's word. To give as you have been given is a noble and sacraficial cause. If more were as dedicated the world would be a better place. Keep up the good work, you are doing God's work in the field the ramifications of which will never be fully known. Praying for your safe return.

Enel said...

Welcome to the blogosphere.