Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gabon - January 2009


Bonjour!

If you found this blog than you found the right spot. Many of you had asked for the opportunity to hear a bit more regularly about this time in Africa, so I'm willing to try and oblige.

I apologize up front if it isn't updated every day - but I'll do my best :)

For a brief summary:

Daparted on Saturday, Jan. 3rd about 9am from Lafayette, Indiana.



Arrived in Paris the following morning around 6:30 am local time - and it was only 19 deg F. The airport isn't "heated" per se, and the staff were all wearing coats and scarves insided the terminal, as were the travellers. I had my customary hot chocolate and Pain de chocolate while keeping my fingers warm.




(Yes that is the Eifel Tower below the wing)






The next stop was Libreville, Gabon. Exited the plane with winter coat in hand to experience 80+ deg F warmth and lots of humidity. So humid it felt "wet" on the concrete walls of the airport. About an hour later we passed through customs without a hitch. The costums agent heard that I was travelling to the hospital and noted her elderly parents were flying down the following day to be seen at the hospital as well. It seemed like I was to keep an eye on them to make sure they got off at the right airport. With my limited French who knows what was actually being arranged!






Had a wonderful relaxing evening (aka sleep) as well as dinner with the Solvigs before flying to Mouila on Monday. It was only about 1 1/2 hours with one stop. Not bad. But it was kind of humorus to see one of the pilot's daughters sitting in the cockpit throughout the trip. Security is a relative term, especially in Africa. Remind me to tell you about the Yellow Fever cards some time. Crazy, especially since they are sending sustpected Ebola virus samples here to be tested. By the way, the Ebola virus is back in action a couple hundred miles to the East. I don't think I'm going into the caves this trip (see prior blog).






Last night was a great night of "Settler's of Catan" as we met together to have an evening of food (Pizza - REALLY good pizza) with Keir and Joanna. Keir is the Director of Surgery for the hospital and in charge of training the 5 residents. It was a lot of fun, and very good, to be back with Keir and Joanna, and to see their two children - Luke and Sarah. Luke swam all the way across the pool the day before I arrived! We worked on that together last year.






Today was a good day - only about 10 hours in the OR.



The picture is of a bladder that is distended to almost 4-6 months pregnant proportion! He felt a lot better once it was drained.



My cases which I assisted the Chief and Intern on today, besides helping out here and there on others:
- Thyroidectomy
- Mastectomy for a huge breast cancer
- Inguinal mass - ? cancer

Tomorrow it looks about the same.

Next week there are a couple of challenging cases posted - and then it will be the medical student and Hoop (from Holland) and I. Should be interesting.

Thank you for your prayers.

Sorry this is more of a "list" update...but hopefully it will expand with time :)

Have a wonderful, warm, day!

John

No comments: